Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January - Japanese Stab Book

For my January Book Project I decided to make a Stab Book – other names I found are Pillow Book, Japanese Stab Book, and Side Binding Book.  I have a couple of vintage stab books as well as a book whose cover is printed to look like a stab book. 

If you look closely you can see the staples showing through in the fake stab book on top.
Traditionally they use a soft paper and each page is folded with the fold edge out.  I chose to use pages from an old postage stamp album thinking they would allow for brief notes – something you could carry in your purse. In addition to the stamp graphics ( I chose pages with a minimum of stamp illustrations) I loved the printed color names.  The text block is bound with linen thread in addition to the cover binding for additional strength.
I bound it with washi paper, which is quite strong, using the linen thread again. There is
a very good 2-part video on youtube demonstrating the stitching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUD0iKBkCVo  To match the pages I decorated the front simply with stamps.

All things considered, I am quite pleased with this first monthly project and since it comes together pretty quickly, I should make a few more before I start my February book.

No comments:

Post a Comment