So for now, let us talk about the teapot lid. I cut a pattern for the base of the lid and covered both sides with cut down teabag boxes while attaching it to the pottery with a linen framing tape hinge and inserting the end of the accordion book pages. At this point I realized that everything revolved around the hinge, and what I had was not going to be sufficient. For one thing, it wanted to pull off of the pottery, for another, it didn't want to close flat. Amazingly, I found some old book tape (I have no idea where it even came from) that matched the painted rim of the lid so I made a narrow tape hinge that works very well.
|I took the tag end of several tea bags and made a small tassel to attach to the handle. Not incidentally, all the bags and boxes used have an English connection: Yorkshire, Chelsea, Harrods, etc.|
|This is the bottom and you can see the tassel and the tape hinge on the left side.|
It sounds pretty simple as I describe the process - it was anything but. Each step had to be thought out carefully, looking ahead and anticipating the next step. With the exception of folding paper to make the pages, it was all a matter of drawing on past experiences and crossing my fingers. Thank God for gel medium!